Tuesday, July 16, 2013

TALLER OR SHORTER THAN THE AVERAGE



Written by Menswear Style
 



Taller or Shorter than the Average

Us guys come in all shapes and sizes and the most stylish men are the ones who have learned to dress to manipulate and compliment their own body shapes. 

You've heard the usual rules like “don’t wear horizontal lines if you want to appear slimmer” and “don’t wear loose and baggy clothing if you’re short”, but now we’re going to look into this a bit further and learn from 2 of the most stylish guys we know – and yep you’ve guessed it, one is taller and one is shorter than the average man.

 La Touché at LCM

Taller than the average 

My name is La Touché, I'm tall and I LOVE hats! By day I teach Environmental Health and by night I grow closer and closer to my passion which is to become a brand consultant. 

My fellow friends Martell Campbell and Nigel Ruwende attracted me to menswear with their impeccable individual style. I've always been inspired by individuality and confident dressers. 

I'm always Always wearing a hat (you'll never catch me without a hat) mood changing and weather dependent. I tend to dress depending on how I feel and on how good or bad the weather is. 

I like to think that my style is experimental, I like to take risks and try and switch up my style a bit, experiment as much as possible. I feel I can take more risk due to my height. 

Tips and advice for guys with a similar body shape 

If you have trousers that no longer fit you BUT you love them, wear them a little higher and show LOADS OF SOCK! If you have a small waist wear braces. Invest in a good pair of black shoes and find a good long sleeve shirt that sits well on the arms (same rule for blazers and jackets). Experiment when layering - being slim allows a lot more flexibility. Build up a good relationship with your tailor (don't just see him for your formal outfits).

 Nigel at LCM (image credits: Zane Colquhoun for MWS)   

Shorter than the average 

My name is Nigel Ruwende, I'm a stylist and Deputy Editor ofindividualism.co.uk, from a young age I was amerced by popular art, style, and fashion by my older sisters. As I grew older, my love and comprehension of menswear evolved. 

I would say my personal style matures with me. If I could wear a suiteveryday I would, but you can't rush these things. I have elements of tailored street wear in my day to day wardrobe, but I'm gradually building up a stronger smart wardrobe as my sartorial knowledge grows. 

Tips and advice for guys with a similar body shape 

In terms of suiting I'd say if you have a similar body shape to me, don't go ultra fitted. I'm quite slight so I've learnt that if I have things too fitted I just look ill! 

Follow the shape of your silhouette, but leave it little room. It makes the overall fit look effortless, and when you're comfortable you're confident.







No comments:

Post a Comment