Sunday, July 14, 2013

DRESSING YOUR AGE - 30S


I turned 30 last year and felt weird, for lack of a better word. There was this feeling of sadness that I would perhaps lose my game the minute a 20 something woman asked for my age at the bar, like that ever happens!!! But at the same time, there was an overwhelming sense of accomplishment when I realized that I was better turned out at 30 than I have ever been. 
Dressing your age in your 30s can be tricky and also has a lot to do with dressing for your role at work. That has a lot to do with striking a balance between still looking young and trying desperately to hang on to your youth! 
In my 20s it was acceptable to wear basketball shoes, loose denims and tees because you were in college or getting into your first job. When I hit 30, it was critical I dressed neat and clean. I am now in middle management and interact regularly with clients, and meet them for a drink after work hours too. I have a team that reports in to me and I should ideally project what their role model would look like. 
Which is why, I always keep a blazer (pocket square in tow) and pair of shoes handy, in the backseat of my car. Also I tend to stick to a reversible belt (black/brown) for ease of flipping it over depending on the shoe colour. With formals, it’s usually a dress watch and cuff links for shirts to nail the look. The choice of shoes are brogues, oxfords and penny loafers. 
What about Friday nights and the weekend you say? When you are out grabbing a beer at the bar or dancing away at one of those drum n bass, dubstep gigs? None of those baggy, low hanging denims. It’s morePaul Smith jeans - straight or slightly tapered denims or chinos coupled with classic sneakers or loafers, shorts (no cargos please) with a basic v neck or broad round neck tee. Strictly no loud prints or worse still Ed Hardy t shirts that are oh so gawdy! 
And then there is your eye wear - keep it simple. No random designs or mercurial lenses. Remember, you are not a snowboarder or dirt biker, unless you are one of course. Go for the 3 classic looks that RayBan retails and at least one of them is made for your face. Those are the Aviators, Wayfarers or Club Masters. All 3 different and unique designs. All 3 very classy and mature. 
Then there are the dress down days. No sir, Hawaii shirts do not qualify. Keep it classy with polo tees, chinos, dark straight cut denims and loafers/brogues. Perhaps a minimal Chronograph for a watch and if wearing sneakers, a G Shock will match better. If you feel the need to wear sneakers, stick to brands such as Nike, Converse, New Balance or Onitsuka Tigers. You cannot go wrong with vintage designs! 
A critical thing is to focus on being stylish, rather than trendy. Work on your personal style and make that your trademark look. It could be the slightest detail, like for me it is wearing my watch on the right hand and a statement ring on the middle finger of my left. And break out those running shoes. Remember it is critical to stay fit for you to look good at any age, more so when you hit your 30s and progress from there. Invest in a good pair of training shoes and clothes. Stay fit and look better than you ever did as you get older!

No comments:

Post a Comment